Sunday, September 9, 2012

The Network

 

   Twitter, Facebook, Google+, WordPress, Tumblr and more! How do people manage this stuff? Always replies, always mentions, always tags, always comments. Some people go the route where they act as an information distributor, posting things but never really coming back to interact, and I don’t really like that. I figure if you’re going to be using a social network, you might as well, I dunno, be social. There’s also the fact that if you’re using social networks to promote yourself or what have you, it’d be nice to interact with people who follow you so you don’t come off as some faceless billboard. Who knows? You might make some friends along the way. I know I have.

  But sometimes it can be difficult to keep track of all these things. I remember back when I first got internet, the concept of email was so fascinating that I signed up to random email lists just so I could gasp at the new mail notification. What could it be? What’s inside? It’s a secret! I loved that moment where I couldn’t wait to load the single email I had gotten that week.

   I know, I know. The best way to avoid dealing with all the social network nonsense in the first place. ‘I don’t even have a Facebook,’ some proudly proclaim. And I genuinely think that’s cool. But I thrive on the social aspect of things, especially since I’m no longer going to school or a place where I can see these people every day. There’s also the fact that having an internet presence is beneficial to getting my name out there, something that’s helpful if I ever want to sell more than one copy of my books. A lot of people are trying to accomplish things like promote their art, band, whatever, and social networks help. It’s not just a promotion tool, but in this age, it’s kind of a must (but if you’re using a network just to promote yourself and ignoring everyone, I think you’re doing it wrong).

6 comments:

  1. very interesting post;;
    I myself have experienced such type of incidences..

    really these social networking sites consumes very precious of our creative timings..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! Especially for bloggers and creative people..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rohit, the data (via Engagio.com) says you've interacted with me more than almost anyone else on the internet for the past few years. I don't think I've responded enough, either. Thanks for all the comments you've contributed to Twitter conversations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A little conversation, a civilised argument, a joke and smileys do make for better communication than mindless and frantic "likes" or comments even if I have no real interest in a topic. Another pet peeve of mine - the mantra that we should write a post once a week.

    Yet, when a storm ravaged NZ for 3 whole days and we were frozen cold, without electricity, hot water or even food as our stove is electric, guess what I missed the most. The internet. As you said it makes inroads into our creative time. Yet, social media and being in touch is addictive. Mustn't go to the other extreme either - must learn to strike a balance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The jio is best network in India. I used jio sim in my phone. It is provide best service for me. I work in Vehicle towing company. I handled every project with help of jio sim. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Pages